Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Playmates Classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Raphael Action Figure Review

Teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, teenage mutant ninja turtles, heroes in a half shell, turtle power!

Now that I have that out of my system...today I am reviewing one of the Playmates Classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. For this, my first review of this line, I am starting with my favourite ninja turtle, Raphael... Allons-y!






Just in case anyone is unaware of both Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Raphael, who the hell are you(?)...I mean, allow me to quickly explain them.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles are a series of comics/cartoons/films about a team of teenage, anthropomorphic turtles. Trained by an anthropomorphic rat in the art of Ninjitsu, they battle criminals, mutants, aliens, and evil super villains, all of whom are intent on world domination.

Raphael is one of the four members of the turtles team. In most incarnations, he is differentiated from his brothers by his red bandana. He is known for his sarcasm and firey temper. In combat, his main weapon of choice are duel Sai.





Now you know a little about the character, lets crack on with the review...

*Please note - The images in this review have had some post production work done, so, they make Raph appear more vibrant than he is...I'm a photographer and can't bring myself to upload plain, boring, unedited pictures!*



The Sculpt

The sculpt on this guy is phenomenal!

The source material for this line of figures is the classic cartoons that started in 1987 (if you haven't seen them, I suggest you hunt them down and watch them!). Almost everything about the sculpt is screen accurate, his expression is even reminiscent to the one which adorned his face on the cover of a compilation VHS that I had years ago.

The smaller items, such as his belt, bandana, pads, and Sai are also nicely sculpted. The details on them, such as creases, folds, buckle, grips etc are all sculpted well with no noticable mistakes.

The only noticeable difference between the figures and the source material is the weapon holders. In the show, none of the turtles had weapon holders as such, they all held their weapons in their belts. For the figure, from a logistical standpoint, this was not possible so, they have given each a holder for their respective weapons.



The Paintwork

The paintwork on Raph is great. Having looked over him multiple times in disbelief, I cannot see any noticeable paint application issues.

I know some people have had issues with the eyes on them...being that they look mightily interested in their nose, however, I don't have this issue.

I could be monumentally picky and point out that the green of the skin is not quite the right shade, however, it is certainly close enough for my liking.

The paintwork on Raph's Sai is a little sloppy, however, not enough that it causes too many problems.



Articulation

Raph has more articulation than you can shake Donatello's Bo Staff at...the packaging boasting 34 points of articulation. If Im honest, I haven't counted them, although, that could be right.

Everything on it has articulation, even down to individual toes and fingers. This abundance of articulation makes the figure extremely poseable.




Accessories

First and foremost for Raph's accessories is a stand, which is nice...it's always nice when you get a stand so you can easily display your figure in a dynamic pose. The stand is shaped, and detailed like a sewer cover, which is apt. As well as the sewer cover detailing, it also has the classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles logo moulded onto it, as well as Raph's name stuck on, which is a nice extra touch.

Raph's other accessory, rather obviously, is a pair of Sai. These are moulded nicely with nice detailing on the handles designed to look like grips. The paint application on them, as was with the figure, is superb, completing the figures overall look.



Overall

I cannot recommend this figure highly enough! It's absolutely fantastic! The sculpt, paint application, the accessories, they're all brilliant. 

Fans of any incarnation of the turtles, especially the original cartoons will love this figure, and it would make a great addition to any collection.

Sadly at present I only have Raph and Michelangelo, however, I am extremely eager to get my hands on the rest of the line, and the classic movie line when they finally show up in the UK.



So, there you have it, my review of the Playmates Classic Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Raphael action figure...

Do you have this figure and/or the others in the line? What are your thoughts on them? Leave me some comments below.

Thanks for stopping by, I do hope you enjoyed yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment