Monday, 1 September 2014

DC Universe Classics 75 Years Of Super Power Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) Action Figure Review

Before I begin, I should apologise. This review would have been up sooner, however, I have developed a mild addiction to figure customising videos on YouTube... Sorry!

Anyway, today I am taking a look at the DC Universe Classics 75 Years Of Super Power Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) action figure... Allons-y!

I realise this is in no way a new figure, however, to me it is! As I have mentioned before, here in the UK, with the exception of online shopping, it's a little hit and miss as to what action figures (especially 6 inch scale) are available... I say yet again...Hasbro, Bandai etc, ship to UK shops!



The Sculpt

I have to be honest, there isn't really much you can say about the sculpt of a Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) figure. The very nature of the characters design means, any action figure incarnation is going to be...basic, very basic.

That said, the sculpt overall is very good, with the details, such as his Power Ring and mask, sculpted rather than just painted on. There are no obvious mistakes in his moulding and, the seams of the figures parts are quite neat.


The Paintwork

Before I talk about the paintwork, I should mention, there are two versions of this figure...a standard version and, a Toys-R-Us exclusive metallic version. I have the standard!

When you have a figure with such a simple a design as Green Lantern, the application of the paint has to be good, otherwise, it shows...sadly, the paintwork on this figure is a little underwhelming.

The colours seem to be a little muted. It doesn't really show in the pictures (thanks to the mandatory automatic adjustments on my editing software!) but, the blacks appear more like dark grey and, the green looks, well...faded. Also, whilst I'm on about the colours, the green on the torso doesn't match the green on the arms and legs.

Then there is the application of the paint. Overall, it's not too bad, there's the odd blemish here and there, but nothing too noticeable, apart from his mask. The green paint application on his mask is a little sloppy...it isn't applied to the the edges leaving the flesh colour exposed (mine is one of the best I have seen though, I have seen some shocking ones online!). This is a shame, especially when you consider they did an excellent job painting his ring neatly (minds out of the gutter please!), and that's tiny (I say again, minds out of the gutter!).



Articulation

Articulation on the figure, whilst relatively good is not Marvel Legends good...the Infinite Series Amazing Spider-Man 2 really spoilt me with it's 34 points.

Unlike the Marvel Legends, the figure doesn't have double jointed knees and elbows or, ankle pivot. Thankfully, due to the nature of the character, these omissions don't inhibit your ability to get dynamic, Green Lantern-esc poses. The only real issue I have with the articulation of the figure is, the inability to tilt the head up sufficiently for flying poses...you can, just about counteract this with the figures ab articulation. Other than the lack of head tilt, the articulation is, sufficient.


Accessories

Now, I don't know if it's just me but, I like it when figures come with a base. I'm all for posing your figures in dynamic poses however, a base makes life a whole lot simpler when it comes to making them stand...or more importantly, keeping them standing if you have pets. With that said, the first of the figures 3 accessories is a base. It's nothing fancy, just a transparent blue oval with a foot peg on it, but I like it!

The second accessory is not really an accessory for the figure, it's more an accessory for you...it's a 'collectors' button. Each figure in the 75 Years Of Super Powers line comes with a button depicting the purchased character and, call me easily pleased but I like it... I'm one of the few people (Jan is also) who like the Loot Crate buttons!

Last but not least, and rather obviously, you get a Power Battery (a lantern)...after all, a Lantern needs to be able to recharge his ring!


Overall

Overall, it is quite a nice figure. Any Green Lantern fan (or DC fan) would probably find it a welcome addition to their collection...

Having said that, a little word of warning! As far as I am aware, this figure is a re-release of the DC Universe Classics Wave 3 Green Lantern so, if you already have that one, I wouldn't suggest splashing out on, what is in effect, the same figure but with a button (even though the button is nice!).



So there you have it, my review of the DC Universe Classics 75 Years Of Super Power Green Lantern (Hal Jordan) action figure...

Do you have this and/or the other figures in the series? What are your thoughts on them? Leave me some comments below.

Thanks for stopping by, I do hope you enjoyed yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment