Tuesday, 12 August 2014

Yesterday, The World Became A Lot Less Funny!

Yesterday, the world became a lot less funny when Robin Williams passed away...



I've toyed with the idea of doing this for a few hours now... I'm always a little wary of posting tributes to celebrities, after all, I never actually knew them. Having said that, despite having never met him, Robin Williams played quite a large part in my childhood.

As I have mentioned briefly in the past, I didn't have the best of upbringings (admittedly, it was probably far easier than many people had or, are currently going through) and, one of the ways I used to 'escape' from it was to immerse myself in films. This is where Robin Williams entered my life... His films, such as Jumanji, Aladdin and Mrs Doubtfire, to name but a few, provided me with this escape and, more importantly, provided me with laughs and happiness in dark times... I knew I could rely on his films to provide comic relief when times were tough, I know I will always be able to, and for this, I will be forever grateful!



The phrase 'at least something good has come from this tragedy' has always struck me as a little odd, however, in reading tweets, Facebook posts etc about Robin Williams passing, it kind of makes sense. Since his passing (from apparent suicide as a result of depression, for those who don't know), people are reaching out to one another, people are discussing depressions rather than shying away from it like it's some embarrassing rash, it may even save a life. I realise that this may not bring comfort to his family and, it won't bring him back but, I hope it eases their suffering, even a miniscule amount knowing that he has, quite possible, helped people.

Really, this somewhat shambles of a post, that I have now written three times, is really just a long winded way for me to say...

RIP Mr Williams and, thank you for the happiness your talent has brought my life, you may be gone but your genius will live on forever!



If you are suffering with depression, you are not alone, please try to talk to someone, be it, a friend, a family member, a teacher, a colleague etc... If you feel you can't talk to someone you know, there are many organisation you can contact, please, please contact one of them... I have listed some below (if you know of one I haven't listed, please leave it in the comments below so we can help people!)

UK & ROI
Samaritans (UK)  08457 90 90 90
Samaritans (ROI)  116 123

USA
Suicide Prevention Life Line (USA)  1-800-273-8255

Canada
Suicide Action Montreal 514-723-4000
Toronto Distress Center 416-408-4357
Manitoba Suicide Line 1-877-435-7170

No comments:

Post a Comment