Saturday, 16 August 2014

My Top 5 Nintendo 64 Games...

Whilst writing my '5 Things All... Ok, Pretty Much All Gamers Have Done'  post it got me reminiscing about my N64, so, I figured I'd share with you my Top 5 N64 Games... Allons-y!


I miss my N64... :'(


For this list, I have tried to place them in an order pertaining to how much I played them...


05 - Super Mario 64

One of the N64 launch titles, Super Mario 64  came as part of a bundle with my console... Admittedly, I only bought the bundle as the Golden Eye bundle was sold out. Anyway, Super Mario 64  took the already, hugely successful Super Mario games and made them three-dimensional. Super Mario 64 was in fact, one of the earliest 3D open world platform games ever made. Despite this however, it did practically everything right and, to this day, it's influence can be seen in many games.


04 - WWF Wrestlemania 2000
THE GUY ON THE LEFT, WITH WHAT LOOKS LIKE DETACHABLE ARMS IS, BELIEVE IT OR NOT...
DWAYNE JOHNSON

Based on WWE (formerly WWF, before a dispute with the World Wildlife Fund) wrestling, Wrestlemania 2000  took it's name from the biggest night in the WWE calender Wrestlemania... For those who don't know, wrestling is basically Eastenders but with baby oil and spandex. As a fan of wrestling, especially in the late 90's early 00's, this game, to me, was almost perfect. It had a massive roster, it even put some of the newer wrestling games to shame (I'm looking at you WWF Royal Rumble), you could create your own titles, you could create your own wrestlers and, you could also modify all the pre-loaded wrestlers on the game so you could keep them more show accurate. Wrestlemania 2000  also had various game modes and, quite an impressive array of match types again, putting some newer games to shame (again, I'm looking at you WWF Royal Rumble!).


03 - Mario Kart 64

Despite been a little easy in single player mode, Mario Kart 64,  due to it's multiplayer function is, quite possibly, one of the best racing games ever released. Incredibly easy to pick up, Mario Kart 64  was not just enjoyable but, it was also incredibly competitive and addictive when you got your friends involved... Many a time, Mario Kart 64  marathons would last at least 24 hours as we tried besting each other... There are only two other racing games that this has happened to me, Gran Turismo 4  and Forza Motorsport 3.


02 - The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time

This may come as a shock to many as, The Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time  tops most 'Top N64 Games' lists on the net. Truth be told, if this list wasn't ordered by the amount I played them, it would probably be top. The gameplay in Ocarina Of Time  was incredible... The combat system worked seamlessly and, the lock on system worked without hindering you, something which modern game makers could learn from. Visually, it was also stunning, the kingdom of Hyrule looked incredible... Despite only reaching number 2 in this list, it is still one of my favourite games of all time!


01 - Golden Eye 007

Quite possibly the best first person shooter (FPS) ever made and, without doubt, the best Bond game ever made, Golden Eye 007  tops my list. Released around 2 years after the movie, Golden Eye 007  lets you become James Bond and reenact all the action you saw in the movie. There is no denying that the gameplay was amazing however, the reason it gets top spot on my list, and appears on so many 'Top' lists on the net is, the multiplayer. Golden Eye 007  allowed you and three friends to become various characters from Bond films and, compete in various multiplayer deathmatch games... These multiplayer sessions often resulted in days going by without you realising. The multiplayer gaming, despite it's obvious flaw, was a pioneer in the FPS multiplayer genre and, despite the many advances in gaming, has not, in my mind, been bettered.
Fun Fact - The multiplayer in Golden Eye 007  was added as an afterthought.


There you have it, my top 5 N64 games. Do you agree with my list? What is your favourite N64 game? Leave me your thoughts below.

Thanks for stopping by, I do hope you enjoyed yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment