Sunday, 17 August 2014

I Got Bored, So I Painted A Turtle...

So... Yesterday I painted a turtle... Allons-y!

When I say I painted a turtle, I don't mean I went to a pond, snatched a turtle and, started painting the poor little thing... On a side note, I have always wanted 4 turtles and to have them wear the TMNT bandanas, oh, and a rat too. Anyway, where was I, oh yes, I painted a Nickelodeon TMNT Series 1 Leonardo. I have wanted to have a go at customising for a while now, I watch a lot of customising videos on YouTube and admire greatly people who do it.

As money is, shall we say, lacking (thank you, Department For Work & Pensions and ATOS Healthcare for looking after disabled people the way you do!), I had to use figures and materials that I already had. Also, I figured, as this was my first foray into customising, it might be best if I tried a basic repaint before attempting parts swaps and sculpting.

The figure is great straight out of the box, it is quite posable and, the paintwork is nice, basic but nice.

AS HE APPEARS STRAIGHT OUT OF THE PACK

Don't get me wrong, I liked Leo as he was however, I wanted to try make him look more gritty, almost graphic novel like in appearance...



As I said before, I figured I best start with something simple so, Leo had a little repaint. To achieve the look I wanted I used washes in black and green. I allowed them to dry quite a bit before using cotton buds (q-tips) and a little nail polish remover to create the affect you see above.



I have to say, I am quite pleased with my results, obviously, as it is me, I am not totally satisfied with it and, I will be trying to perfect it. Hopefully soon I will be onto parts swapping and sculpting... That said, I need to get some figures and fodder before I can do that.


What do you think to my first attempt at customising? What was your first attempt? Leave me your thoughts, and links to your customs below.

Thanks for stopping by, I do hope you enjoyed yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment