Saturday, 30 August 2014

Doctor Who - Moffat has broken my favourite show.....

Jan here again... As it is Saturday (formally, woohoo, Doctor Who day!), I thought I'd share with you my Doctor Who themed post... Enjoy!




For the first time in my life I wasn't excited for the return of the DoctorSteven Moffat has systematically destroyed my favourite TV show. Don't get me wrong, he's a great writer, BUT he is a terrible showrunner. He writes himself into corners, and, when he can't extricate himself, he then changes his own canon. He starts storylines without knowing where he wants it to go, so it becomes ever more convoluted and complicated. Oddly enough, he has written some of my favourite episodes in the new Doctor Who run. I love Blink and I love the concept of the Weeping Angels, they are truly creepy. My other favourites are The Girl in the FireplaceSilence in the Library and Forest of the Dead. You may notice that all my favourite episodes are from when Russell T Davies was showrunner. Moffat is much, much, MUCH better as an occasional writer rather than showrunner. I also dislike the throwaway nature of the show now. You get to love characters and companions, only for them to leave, and the characters are forever banished and unable to see or speak to the Doctor again. This bugs the crap out of me! Why don't they sign people up for a minimum commitment?? Why don't the BBC tell Moffat to pull his finger out and put out a full seaon, without making the fans wait for a year, only to have a few episodes before another lengthy break?? The same goes for Sherlock, the amount of time between seasons is ridiculous! Then we get 3 episodes....3????!!! Drives me mad!

My favourite Doctor from 'New Who'!


Now, onto the new Doctor, Peter Capaldi. He's a great actor. I would have little problem with his casting but for one thing....he has already played other characters in the Whoniverse!!!! That, to me, is completely unacceptable, specifically in the years since the revival. We have so much more access to information about the actors and actresses, if we recognise an actor/actress we just go online and find out their entire CV.  Capaldi is too noticeable, too famous to sneak in under the radar. When Karen Gillan turned up as a soothsayer in The Fires of Pompeii, she was virtually unrecognisable and she just wasn't very well known, so it didn't matter too much when she turned up as Amy Pond. As you can see from the photos below, Capaldi is immediately recognisible, and a main cast member in both episodes/series. The reason that David Tennant and Matt Smith worked so well as the Doctor, is that they weren't particularly well known when they began the role. My objection to Capaldi isn't based on his age, or on the fact that he's not as good looking as the 2 previous incarnations. I couldn't care less what the Doctor looks like, I love the character and I'm not a teenage girl swooning over hot actors. I just seriously object to such a stupid move.


Capaldi as John Frobisher in Torchwood: Children of Earth
Capaldi as Caecilius in The Fires of Pompeii









Having watched the first episode, I'm still unconvinced. Yes I like the intensity of Capaldi's portrayal, but that is not unique to the actor. There are unknown actors out there who could do a brilliant job, and they don't carry any associations or expectations into the role. The episode was ok, but this show was never only ok....well, not until Moffat took over as showrunner. He's great at writing episodes, but he needs someone there to keep him on track. He simply changes any canon he feels like, even the ones he put in place! My enjoyment has been declining ever since he took over.....he has now managed to kill all my excitement, anticipation and enjoyment and it makes me sad.

Thanks for popping by!

Jan
x

No comments:

Post a Comment