Sunday, 15 June 2014

Terrible Films I love - 02: Halloween (2007 Rob Zombie Remake)

For this, the second post in my 'Terrible Films I Love' series, I'm going to take a look at a film which appears in many 'most hated' lists in both print and on the web, a film that is the remake/reimagining of a 1978 horror cult classic... Rob Zombie's Halloween!... Allons-y!


Rob Zombie's Halloween was, in no way, a financial flop. Made on an estimated budget of $15 million, it is estimated to have made around $80 million, granted, compared to the 1978 original having an estimated budget of $325 thousand and it making an estimated $70 million, technically, that is a bit of a flop. This however is not the reason for the movie gaining 'terrible' status, Rob Zombie's Halloween or Zombieween, as I shall henceforth call it, has gained terrible status by it's inclusion in so many 'top ... most hated films' lists, lists that are voted on by the movie going public.

I have had a love of horror films for many years, probably more years than I should, especially Halloween. I'll be honest, when they announced the intention to do a remake/reimagining I was worried, they are after all, notoriously hard to pull off, especially when the source material is so iconic.

When I found out that Rob Zombie was to make it, my worries subsided, a little. Having seen his films, House Of 1000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects, or rather, having seen the 'making of' documentaries for both films, I realised he had, for a long time, loved horror films, so I figured, well, I hoped this would be a good omen for Zombieween.

In Halloween, after young Michael Myers kills his sister, the film skips 15 years. In Zombieween however, Zombie shows more of the psychological downward spiral that Michael goes through, and, his years in Smith's Grove - Warren County Sanitarium. Personally, I think this delving into Michael's psyche makes for a scarier killer, it makes him seem almost more believable, almost relatable.

Most people agree, the first half of the film is a welcome addition to the Halloween story, however, it's the second half of Zombieween that most people seem to have issue with. Having read quite a few scathing reviews, the main issue people seem to have is, the level of violence. In Halloween, although you saw 'violence', you never actually really saw violence. People got stabbed however, you didn't see blood, shadows and suspence played a large part of the films horror. Now, don't get me wrong, I love the originals method of creating suspence and horror, I think it's a masterstoke, however, in the world we live in today, we see worse than that daily on the news, so really, for a horror film to be successful at creating shocks, that sadly isn't usually enough anymore. Also, both directors have very different styles so, it would be most unusual for both films to share the same style.

Zombieween contains many things in homage to the original Halloween, which again, shows Zombie's love of the horror genre and, the source material. I personally believe his appreciation adds to film, if they had just got a director who had not seen Halloween, or maybe seen it once, by chance on tv, the film would probably have felt like 2010's Clash Of The Titans... B******s trying to ruin one of my favourite films from my childhood, also, how the hell did it get a sequel?

All in all, as the name of this series suggests, I love Zombieween... admittedly, I love Halloween more, but nobody said that was against the rules!

Do you like Zombieween? What's your thoughts on remakes/reimaginings? leave me your comments below.

Thanks for stopping by, I do hope you enjoyed yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment