Friday, 23 May 2014

Top 10 Game Boy Games Of My Childhood

Today, we take a strole down memory lane, and, take a look at the top 10 Game Boy games of my childhood... Allons-y!

Although, this is a 'top 10', the list is not actually in any order, these are just 10 games, I played the most, when I was younger.



10. Double Dribble 5 on 5 - Not a game about excessive saliva, despite how it sounds, Double Dribble was a Basketball game. Compaired to todays sports games, the graphics, gameplay and pretty much everything about this game was... useless, however, I would spend hours, frantically mashing the keys, trying to perform a slam dunk, to trigger the now laughable, animations. Pointless Fact - Double dribble, was known as Exciting Basket in Japan.





09. F1 Pole Position (known in Japan as - Satoru Nakajima F-1 Hero GB '92 The Graded Driver) - A relatively simple, racing game, based on F1 racing... not much really I can say about this game... If memory serves, it had a similar style gameplay to, Outrun.




08. Kirby's Pinball Land - Anybody who has played the Super Smash Bros games, will, at some point have seen Kirby (the little pink ball with feet). Back on the Game Boy Kirby had a few games, one of these games was Kirby's Pinball Land... It's pretty much what it sounds like! On a side note, if anyone knows of anywhere in the UK with good pinball machines, leave a comment below, I love pinball machines.




07. Killer Instinct - This was, one of my first forays into the world of fighting games. Despite the relative simplicity of the Game Boy console you could achieve quite an array of moves, all things considering. Also a big reason for my playing it so much, was, the characters. Unlike many fighting games back then, and now, Killer Instinct had a colourful cast of characters, including... an ice-warrior alien, a werewolf, a cyborg, and, a skeleton to name a few.




06. Ghostbusters II - One of my favourite film franchises as a child, well, to this day actually is, Ghostbusters. This game provided me with a way to live out my childhood ongoing fantasy of becoming a Ghostbuster. The packaging boasted of 'The best graphics ever for the Game Boy' which, let's face it, wasn't saying much, however, the game had Proton Packs and Ghost Traps, so, I was a happy Ghostbuster.





05. Tetris - I should think, pretty much everybody will know what Tetris is, it has graced pretty much every console since the dawn of time, and, nowadays it either comes on, or is easily available for mobile phones and tablets.





04. The Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Almost everybody who has played/plays a Nintendo console will know about the Zelda series, and, most people who don't will probably have heard the name. Despite obvious differences to most of the Zelda games, Link's Awakening had a lot of the charm, and feel that makes the other games so popular. Although the Game Boy had a simple, direction pad and two button setup, Link's Awakening was extremely playable and offered quite an array of weaponry for battling your enemies.





03. Pokemon Blue Version - One of the original, two Pokemon games that started off the 18(ish) year, and counting, attempt at world domination... they were originally released in 1996 in Japan as Red and Green, with Blue released as a special edition before getting released in US & EU in 1997/1998. Pokemon, for those who don't know, saw you assume the role of an oddly proportioned little boy (or girl) and wander around, capturing (against their will) creatures, called Pokemon, who you would then train, and, make battle for you, either against other wild Pokemon, so you could capture them, or against other 'trainers'... If you think about it, it's quite barbaric. Pokemon, played my OCD against me, telling me I've 'Gotta catch 'em all!' so that is what I set out to do... crafty gits, neglected to mention at first that you either needed Blue and Red or, you had to trade with people, so, I had to also get...





02. Pokemon Red Version - As mention on the Blue version, you needed access to both to collect all of the Pokemon, subsequently, I bought them both. My OCD, coupled with, my inability to wait for friends to get the Pokemon I needed made it a necessity.





01. Super Mario Land - My first ever game on the Game Boy, Super Mario Land, is pretty much, solely responsible for my computer game addiction. Despite it's simple, side scrolling gameplay, Super Mario Land was not only highly enjoyable, but, also addictive. I spent, many car journeys playing, Super Mario Land, fighting off enemies, collecting coins, and, trying to save Princess Daisy.

What games did you used to play on the Game Boy? do you still play on a Game Boy? what games do you play? leave me comments below.

Thanks for stopping by, I do hope you enjoyed yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment