Monday, 12 May 2014

Terrible Films I love - 01: Super Mario Bros.

With the recent passing of Bob Hoskins, the internet was awash with countless lists of his filmography, whilst perusing one such list, I stumbled upon one of his old films that, as a child, I loved and it gave me an idea... A series about terrible films (box office flops, universally ridiculed etc) that I, myself happen to love... Allons-y!

As this 'Terrible Films I Love' series is, in reality, thanks to Bob Hoskins, it is only fair that I kick it off with one of his films, the film in question is, Super Mario Bros.



Released in 1993, with an estimated budget of $42,000,000 Super Mario Bros was a flop, grossing not even half that at the American box office. On IMDB it has 4 out of 10 stars, having received ratings from around 31,000 users. It regularly appears on worst film lists, when I say worst film lists, I don't just mean worst video game adaptation, I mean, worst film ever kind of lists.

All that aside, I love it! When the film was released I was 6 or 7, which could, in some way, go towards explaining how I came to love it, either way, I do! By the time it came out I had owned a Game Boy for some time, for you younger readers this is a Game Boy, it's something like the 3DS' great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great, great,  great, grandad...



One of my favourite games to play, especially on long car journeys, apart from Tetris, was Super Mario Land (look at those ground breaking graphics)...


The film, whilst very cheesy and quite poorly made did bring to life the games that I loved. It had the daft, over the top story from the game, a plumber tasked with saving a princess, of all the people you'd want trying to save you, plumber has to be low on the list, somewhere down there with a binman or David Cameron (may I take this opportunity to apologise to plumbers and binmen for listing you with David Cameron). It had most of the characters from the games, albeit, most of them far more humanoid than they appear in the games and, in my opinion, it somewhat captures the feel of the games.

Despite the films flaws, of which there are many according to lots of people, I still to this day, find watching it an enjoyable way to spend a couple of hours and, it brings back fond memories of hours spent on my Game Boy which is why, it has found it's way onto my, 'Terrible Films I Love' list.

Thanks for stopping by, I do hope you enjoyed yourself... Oh, I nearly forgot. Leave a comment below with films you love that are widely regarded as terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment