Sunday, 18 May 2014

Simpsons Lego Minifigures Review

This year sees Lego release new product lines based on programs, games and films. One such release is a new set of minifigures, based on, The Simpsons. Here I take a quick look at them... Allons-y!



Costing £2.50 each in the UK, ($4.00 in the US I believe) the Simpsons minifigures are, as was the case with the Lego Movie minifigures, a little more pricey than the standard minifigure releases. This price hike, whilst annoying, will also run the risk of moving them out of 'pocket money purchase' range I would have thought, although, I suppose this is to be expected when you slap a name on something.

For this new range, Lego have kept the normal body shape, however, they have moved away from the traditional head shape. When this change was announced, opinion was divided, some liked the idea, however, many believed that they should stay with the traditional head mould. Having got a few, and having seen the whole range online, I personally think that the decision by Lego is a positve one. Despite the fact that I am a fan of the traditional heads and the amount of faces, expressions etc they can create, I think, due to the stylised nature of the Simpsons, that the normal lego heads would not have done them justice and, would risk making them look like cheap knockoffs.



The detailing of the figures is very impressive. Despite the inherently boxy, simple nature of Lego, they manage to replicate each of the characters outfits with great accuracy, from Bart's simple blue shorts and red t-shirt, to Homer's beer gut and Apu's swirling chest hair.

As well as the figure, and obligatory stand, each pack contains at least one accessory for each character. Each accessory, to anyone who has seen the show, is easily identifiable as belonging to the specific character it comes with, for example, Bart's skateboard, Lisa's Saxaphone, Nelson's baseball bat and, one of my favourites, Mr Burn's bowl containing Blinky (in reality, a clear head with Blinky painted on).



One gripe I have with all minifigures, not just the Simpsons minifigures is the skirts, more specifically, the fact that they never fit correctly. I have never understood why, instead of the current fabric fitment, they don't use the rubber fitment that they use for parts such as Scratchy's tail... maybe something to think about in future Lego?

Hopefully, some time in the near future I will be able to review the Simpsons playset, whether I am able to buy it, someone has it and allows me to take a look... or Lego send me one *cough* *cough* *wink*

Thank you for stopping by, I do hope you enjoyed yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment