Friday, 16 May 2014

Michael Bay - hero(ish) Or villain?

The 'done' thing is to slag off Michael Bay and,  I'm kinda jumping on the bandwagon I'm afraid... Allons-y!

With Transformers: Age Of Extinction hitting cinemas in a couple of months time, it got me wondering... does Michael Bay really deserve the hate he receives? Well... he does, sort of.

Let me preface the rest of this post by saying, I am a huge Transformers fan, I am also a fan of the films, with the exception of two things... Shia LaBeouf and (stop reading if you have somehow not seen it already!!!) needlessly killing Ironhide in Transformers: Dark Of The Moon.

Now, I have a large amount of respect for Bay for bringing Transformers to the big screen, although, techincally it was Steven Spielberg who made it happen. I had wanted a live action version for quite some time and was tremendously excited that it finally happened. Also, I am a big fan of Armageddon, minus the end, that always reduces me to tears (you ever wonder if you're sharing too much?), The Rock, despite Nic Cage's inability to act different, ever! (that will be another post, no doubt) and I will probably enjoy Pain & Gain when I get around to watching it, although, that may soley be down to Dwayne Johnson's envolvement.

That pretty much covers the 'positive' portion of this post I'm afraid... now, let the Bay bashing begin (ooer!)

To illustrate my first point, let's start with my favourite of his works, the Transformers films. The lead character of your film should, be likeable! Yes, they can, and, more often than not, should be flawed to provied a story arc, a growth of character but, Sam Witwicky is one of the most unlikable characters I have ever come across, also... how the hell did he pull not only Megan Fox but also Rosie Huntington-Whiteley in the films. Anyway, Sam, is obnoxious, self-important, ungrateful... (I could go on), and, not once in the space of three films, does he show any sign of growing as a person, hell, Megatron grows more!

Continuity is a major bugbear *salutes* (How I Met Your Mother reference for you there) of mine when it comes to Bay's films. I realise, not everyone has OCD like I do, however, how hard is it to make sure even simple things match from one scene to the next, for example.

Similar to the continuity issues, Bay's films are full of factual inaccuracies. A quick Google search, of Pearl Harbour for example, brings up a page showing, at least 132 factual inaccuracies... surely you would have advisors who know the subject matter.

I feel I should leave it at that for now. They are three of my many issues with Bay's films, I fear if I get into all the issues with his films we will be here until Transformers 6 is released, at least.

Thanks for stopping by, I do hope you enjoyed yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment